International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Monday 5 December 2016

Meet our International Ambassador: Ifedayo Ayodeji

Name: Ifedayo Ayodeji
Course: Bioengineering

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Ifedayo but everyone calls me Ife, which by the way means love. I am from one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world, Nigeria. I started studying Bioengineering September 2015 in Sheffield and so far, it has been an experience.
My interest in engineering started with shows like Dexter’s Laboratory and Phineas and Ferb. I found it fascinating how you could create something amazing from ordinary objects and imagined building a ride in my background. I was surprised to find out how many different types of engineering there were. I discovered Bioengineering and fell in love with it after watching Robocop (2014). It is a new field in engineering that is rapidly growing and I am really excited to see how it would grow. Besides the fact that is it totally cool, I would love to be part of the people contributing to the growth of the field especially in developing countries like Nigeria and other countries in Africa.
As an international student, it is hard and scary to move from your home to a completely new place right? Well, for me, I was too excited to come to University of Sheffield because I knew it was the right place for me.
The first time I heard of the university was at a career fair in Nigeria. It is very difficult to find good universities that offer bioengineering as a first degree, University of Sheffield offers more than that, it offers opportunities beyond lecture theatres to implement what you have learnt and to grow as an engineer. With the Global Engineering Challenge and Engineering you’re hired, you are giving the opportunity to work with other engineering students on a project which is exciting.
The cultural diversity here is incredible, you get to learn about different cultures all over the world while in one place. Every culture is embraced and celebrated. Sheffield is such a beautiful city as well with so many places to visit such as the winter garden, peak districts and many more.
I came to Sheffield two weeks late and by the end of the week I had already made friends. Everyone here is friendly and there are so many societies, this is an opportunity to meet people with similar backgrounds and interests as you.
Academically speaking, it could really challenging here in Sheffield which is why Sheffield is 109th best university in the world and 42nd in Europe.


My experience here has been amazing and I have no regrets coming to University of Sheffield because it has become a home away from home for me. I have so many friends, places to go while getting one of the best educational knowledge and experience. I would gladly recommend it to my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment