International Engineering Ambassadors
Insight into the life & course of international students.

Tuesday 6 December 2016

Meet our International Ambassador: Muhammad Ali Rashid

Name: Muhammad Ali Rashid
Department: Chemical and Biological Engineering

Hi there, my name is Muhammad Ali Rashid, I was born in Pakistan and for the past two years was living in Nairobi, Kenya. I completed my IGCSEs in Pakistan from Lahore college of arts and sciences (LACAS) and did my A levels from Hillcrest International Schools in Kenya. For A level my subject choices were physics, maths, chemistry and biology.
From an early age I was attracted towards the field of engineering. I always questioned everything, how was this made? What’s in this? Tinkering away with everything I could get my hands on. This interest grew with time and by reading and watching all about the cool science stuff. I chose Chemical Engineering as it is one of the most versatile fields, gives you a chance to work in many big industries. It satiates my thirst for knowing how something is made. The course is also quite closely tied to biology which is my favourite subject (Surprisingly not chemistry). I want to be able to help come up with new viable energy solutions and chemical engineering gives me the exact chance to do so.
Choosing your University is a very important decision that plays an integral part in shaping your future. There were many things that factored into my decision to choose Sheffield. Firstly, the fact that it is part of the prestigious Russell group of universities, comes as a top 100 university in the world and is highly ranked for engineering. It is renowned for its research power which is something that interested me greatly. The fact that I would be studying in a Nobel Prize winning department excited me. The thing that got me the most was the diamond building. An 81 million pounds multidisciplinary engineering building. It has state of the art labs and facilities. Now that I have come to Sheffield I can say they were not exaggerating! The labs are like those out of sci-fi movies and there are so many great facilities.
Another reason to choose Sheffield was the city and the university's international outlook. The city is one of the safest in the country and full of friendly people, greenery and students. The university offers a humungous amount of societies to join and every week a plethora of give it a go events are held where u can go and try out new things. The university life is made easier by the fact that there is excellent support for international students, there are so many international students and societies that you quickly make friends from back home. Furthermore, the students’ union is the best in the UK, voted as number one for 6 years in a row. It’s a modern building which has everything for you in one place.
My Experience so far has been great, I have already met so many top companies and employers, started doing actual lab work and become part of something much bigger than myself. I feel I made the right choice coming to Sheffield and enjoy it so far.

My advice to prospective students would be to be bold, experiment and be adventurous while you have the opportunity to be so. Never be shy of asking what’s on your mind and when searching for universities make sure to talk to current students, read university blogs or watch videos about the university don’t always follow the website/ rankings there is always more to a book than what’s on its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment